Sustaining Alaska's Fisheries: Fifty Years of Statehood
Sustaining Alaska's Fisheries: Fifty Years of Statehood was created by ADF&G as part of Alaska's 2009 Statehood Celebration. This engaging story of our commercial fishery management heritage was written by Bob King, writer, former fisheries industry journalist, and former press secretary to an Alaska governor. The publication was designed by Amy Carroll, ADF&G Publications Specialist, and funded with a grant from the Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board.
We hope you enjoy this 74-page pictorial retrospective. It is filled with the stories of visionary pioneers, scientists, and the adventurous and courageous leaders who have been a part of developing Alaska's sustainable commercial fisheries management principals, recognized today as some of the best in the world.
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Public Communications Section
PO Box 115526
Juneau, Alaska 99811-5526
Below, you may review and read all sections of the book online (resolution reduced for web posting; for the best quality reproduction please request a copy via email above):
- Full Version (PDF 7,975 kB)
- Cover, Table of Contents, and Introduction (PDF 1,509 kB)
- Starbound (1949-1959) (PDF 1,661 kB)
- Taking Control (1960-1969) (PDF 1,914 kB)
- Taking Action (1970-1980) (PDF 1,526 kB)
- Triumph and Tragedy (1980-1989) (PDF 1,312 kB)
- Rethinking Fisheries (1990-1999) (PDF 2,229 kB)
- Sustainable and Wild (2000s) (PDF 1,052 kB)
- Epilogue (PDF 1,405 kB)
- Types of Boats (PDF 420 kB)
- Appendix (PDF 531 kB)
For additional information pertaining to Sustaining Alaska's Fisheries: Fifty Years of Statehood, please contact:
Order a copy of this publication via email
(please include physical or P.O.Box mailing address)
Adobe Acrobat PDF files require a free viewer available directly from Adobe.